Tuesday, November 18, 2008

cynical idealism or cautious optimism?

I have often described myself as a cynical idealist.
In this article from Al Jazeera, I learned a new phrase that I just might prefer: "cautious optimist." I like it. And I think it sums up exactly what myself and others in my life are feeling about Obama. We're optimistic, even hopeful, but...I mean it's still the government, it's still the United States, this certainly doesn't make us patriots...he's far from perfect. But, I can't help but think that maybe we should look at the bright side. Because, for the first time in 8 years, I think there actually IS a bright side.
I don't know.
Thoughts?

1 comment:

daydreamer said...

I'm proud to be American now that Obama is elected.

SIKE!!! i also love the term "cautious optimism." hopeful yes, change yes. of course we are when we've had bush for 8 years! if obama didn't win i might have done something destructive to myself or others.