Friday, January 02, 2009

Routine...and Ethnic Cleansing in Gaza

I remember the last time I felt like this...
It was at the beginning of the Iraq war.
I used to look at images of broken people on the internet before I went to sleep. Sometimes I'd have nightmares. I'd wake up and check the news again. "Awake" began to blur with "Dreaming."
Why do I do it this way?
Why do I check the news every morning before I've even had a cup of coffee?
Maybe it's desperation, fear of what the news will say. Maybe I'm secretly hoping for a headline that I don't really (rationally) expect about how the bombing has stopped or at least they've let more aid in or something.
Maybe it's more like ripping off a band-aid: "If something even worse has happened tell me now. Do it fast."
Or maybe it's self-protection: before I've had my morning coffee, I'm never completely present. Maybe it's less painful that way.

My routine now:
Ma'an News
Al Jazeera
Facebook (people post news I haven't seen elsewhere)
Then, sometimes, New York Times (because it's good to know what other people are reading here in NY)
Then, sometimes Ha'aretz, because I want to know what the Israelis are reading (and it's the only Isreali paper I can stomach)
If I'm particularly angry after that, I'll go to YNET (which I refuse to link to) and leave vicious anti-Zionist comments on the most problematic posts.
Leaving comments on Ha'aretz is frustrating because among their "guidelines" (or your post is deleted) is one that says you're not allowed to accuse anyone of genocide or ethnic cleansing. WTF? You're also not allowed to compare anyone to the Nazis. Again...WTF?
Not that I generally do the second (unless I'm talking to specific Jews and it makes a specific, useful point) but I do tend to talk about ethnic cleansing and genocide a lot...

This story is posted somewhere on this blog already, but it was years ago, so I think it's time to tell it again:

When I was in Hebron, the soldiers would not allow us to walk on Shuhada Street. We asked one soldier "Why?" He told us that it was a "sanitized zone."
Who was allowed to walk there, we asked.
"Only --"
he didn't finish his sentence. we pushed and prompted. "Only who?"
"Only Jews."

"Sanitized." "Only Jews." But don't talk about ethnic cleansing.

One Israeli dies and they respond by killing over 400 Palestinians. Who are walled in on all sides, no escape. But no. Don't talk about ethnic cleansing.

No comments: