Tuesday, January 06, 2009

I had a dream last night where I ran into an "old friend." Some of you may know him. This "old friend," hasn't been a friend since we were, I think, sophomores in high school. After that, though, he and I remained in many of the same "circles."
That "friend" went on to join the military. Not because he needed money for college or because the military recruiters tricked him but because he genuinely wanted to "fight for his country."
Through the grapevine I've heard that, during his time in Iraq, he not only killed, but tortured people.
Then, when he was finally done...he decided to go back. Not because he had to, but because, even seeing what he had to do there, he still wanted to "fight for his country."

In the dream, his face and hands were covered in blood. Deep, dark blood. Red. He didn't appear to be injured, so I assume it was intended to be either symbolic or someone else's or both. He looked like he was made of blood. He was smiling like a frat boy who just got laid. I can't get this haunting image out of my mind.
In the dream, there was an argument, but I can't remember precisely what it was about, who started it, etc.
Only the image: him, the gun, the blood, the smile.
Like he was playing a video game and he just got a high score.
Like all the people he killed gave him a high score.
haunting.

Today I'm moving to Brooklyn. That's not really relevant to anything on this blog, but since there are a few people who still read it primarily to find out what's going on with me, I thought I'd mention something.

In the past couple of days there have been a few things I've been excited to discover:

1. http://www.pflp.ps/english/?q=pflp-calls-upon-arab-and-international-forces-esca

2.

(A friend sent this photo from the protests in Southern Cal...)

3. Here in NY:
Stand with Gaza:
SHOES to Bloomberg

Wednesday, January , 2009
4:30 to 6:30 pm
NYC City Hall
take trains to City Hall or Chambers Street
BRING YOUR OLD SHOES
SHAME BLOOMBERG Bring your old shoes and show the Mayor your disgust.

4. There's also a protest planned for Saturday in DC and Sunday again in NY (Times Square), so keep your calendars open!

No comments: