Sunday, May 24, 2009

In Cairo...

I'm in Cairo checking email, posting on facebook & my blog...
strange things can be so "typical" so far from home -
of course the music in the background is different...but the honking horns sound about the same.

In a couple of days I'll be in Gaza. Most of you who read my blog know this already, because I've told you, or because I mentioned it on facebook.
I was going to wait until I was in Gaza to blog, but then I realized that I DO already have things to say...

(one) I'm scared. I am writing that here because in our group conversation (I'm going with a delegation) we talked about check-ins & I began to think about emotion - how the trip will be more powerful in every way if we open ourselves up to what we will feel - how a lot of the organizations we will visit & meet with deal with trauma, and that to deny our own emotions, and pretend we are "above" them is to disrespect them & their work. So, I admit that I'm afraid.

(two) I'm excited. Before signing up for this delegation, I didn't even know the extent of work that is happening in Gaza. I'm sure I'll have more to say about this later. I'm also here with a lot of people I don't know, but people I suspect are pretty amazing. So that's exciting too. And there's a BIG student delegation here as well, and a bigger Code Pink delegation on its way in a few days...it's inspiring that so many people want to witness & share what they see.

1 comment:

Sally said...

Thanks for posting, Amy! Keep the updates coming!